“Simplicity is an exact medium between
too little and too much.”
– Sir Joshua Reynolds
So you are evaluating OpenNebula and you are comparing OpenNebula with other products to build clouds, mostly with VMware and with the many enterprise distributions of OpenStack. OpenNebula is the alternative to OpenStack, which is fragmented and too complex, and VMware, which is too expensive and inflexible.
Simple yet Powerful Turnkey Solution to Build Clouds and Manage Data Center Virtualization
LIGHT & SIMPLE
Lightweight and easy to install, maintain, operate and use
Fully open-source and customizable for any data center and its policies
Production-ready, highly-scalable, and commercially supported
Innovative functionality for virtualization and private clouds
Key Features about OpenNebula
OpenNebula provides features at the two main layers of Data Center Virtualization and Cloud Infrastructure:
- Data Center Virtualization Management: OpenNebula integrates directly with hypervisors (like KVM) and containers (like LXD), and has complete control over virtual and physical resources, providing advanced features like Capacity Management, Resource Optimization, High Availability and Business Continuity.
- Cloud Management: OpenNebula also provides a multi-tenant, cloud-like provisioning layer on top of virtual infrastructures, including already existing infrastructure management solutions (like VMware vCenter). It provides provisioning, elasticity and multi-tenancy cloud features including virtual data centers provisioning, data center federation and hybrid cloud computing to connect in-house infrastructures with public clouds.
EDGE AND DISTRIBUTED CLOUD COMPUTING
- Dynamically grow your private cloud with remote physical resources from bare-metal cloud providers.
- Automatic provision of remote resources
STABLE AND PROVEN
- Internal quality assurance process for functionality, scalability, performance, robustness and stability.
- Technology maturity built upon over a decade of software releases and thousands of enterprise deployments.
- Scalability, reliability and performance tested on massive scalable production deployments.
FULLY PLATFORM INDEPENDENT
- Broad support for commodity and enterprise-grade hypervisor, monitoring, storage, networking and user management services.
- Build a cloud on LXD containers, and KVM and VMware virtualization.
- Packages for major Linux distributions.
HIGH AVAILABILITY AND BUSINESS CONTINUITY
- High availability architecture.
- Persistent database backend with support for high availability configurations.
- Configurable behavior in the event of host or VM failure to provide easy to use and cost-effective failover solutions.
SIMPLE INSTALL AND UPGRADE PROCESS
- Automatic import of existing environments.
- All key functionalities for enterprise cloud computing, storage and networking in a single install.
- Long term stability and performance through a single integrated patching and upgrade process.
CAPACITY AND PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT
- Fine-grained ACLs for resource allocation.
- Resource Quota Management to track and limit computing, storage and networking resource utilization.
- Dynamic creation of Clusters as pools of hosts that share datastores and virtual networks for load balancing, high availability, and high performance computing.
- Dynamic creation of Virtual Data Centers as fully-isolated virtual infrastructure environments where a group of users, under the control of the VDC administrator, can create and manage compute, storage and networking capacity.
- Federation of multiple OpenNebula Zones for scalability, isolation or multiple-site support.
- Powerful and flexible Scheduler for the definition of workload and resource-aware allocation policies such as packing, striping, load-aware, affinity-aware…
COMMUNITY AND ENTERPRISE SUPPORT
- Best-effort community support.
- SLA-based commercial support directly from the developers.
ADAPTABLE, EXTENSIBLE AND INTEGRATABLE
- Modular and extensible architecture.
- Customizable plug-ins for integration with any third-party data center service.
- API for integration with higher level tools such as billing, self-service portals…
FULLY OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
- Fully open-source software released under Apache license.
EXTERNAL CLOUD CONNECTOR FOR CLOUD BURSTING
- Native support for hybrid cloud computing with connectors for AWS and Azure.
INTERFACES FOR CLOUD CONSUMERS
- AWS EC2 and EBS APIs.
- OGF OCCI APIs.
- Simple, clean, intuitive Portals for cloud consumers and VDC admins.
- On-demand provisioning of Virtual Data Centers.
- OpenNebula Marketplace is a catalog of virtual appliances ready to run in OpenNebula environments.
- Deployment of your private centralized catalog of cloud applications to share and distribute virtual appliances across OpenNebula instances.
- Fully integrated with OpenNebula SunStone.
VIRTUAL INFRASTRUCTURE MANAGEMENT AND ORCHESTRATION
- Virtual infrastructure management adjusted to enterprise data centers. Complete life-cycle management of virtual resources.
- Powerful hooking system.
- Full control, monitoring and accounting of virtual infrastructure resources Fine-grained multi-tenancy.
INTERFACES FOR ADMINISTRATORS AND ADVANCED USERS
- Powerful CLI that resembles typical UNIX-command applications.
- SunStone Portal for administrators and advanced users.
MULTI-TENANCY AND SECURITY
- Fine-grained ACLs and user quotas.
- Powerful user, group and role management.
- Integration with user management services like LDAP, Active Directory…
- Login token functionality.
- Fine-grained auditing.
- Support for isolation at different levels.
SERVICE MANAGEMENT AND CATALOG
- Automatic installation and configuration of application environments and their secure sharing with other cloud users.
- Automatic execution and scaling of multi-tiered applications and their provision from a catalog and self-service portal.
- Gain insight on cloud applications so their status and metrics can be easily queried through OpenNebula interfaces used in auto-scaling rules.
ACCOUNTING AND SHOWBACK
- Fine-grained accounting and monitoring.
- Easy integration with any billing system.
- Showback capabilities
OpenNebula Use by the Numbers
OpenNebula Package Downloads in the Last Year
OpenNebula Clouds Connected to the Marketplace
Data Centers in the Largest OpenNebula Federation
Cores within the Largest OpenNebula Cloud
OpenNebula is used to implement different types of cloud deployments, from clouds tuned to address the demands of a niche market to clouds optimized to manage the virtualized resources in the data center.
How to Get Started with OpenNebula
Tools to eliminate the challenges in implementing a small-scale cloud for development, testing or integration.