23rd September 2011. The OpenNebula project announces the availability of OpenNebula 3.0 RC1(2.9.90), the first release candidate of OpenNebula 3 toolkit. This release is consider feature complete and will be further stabilized with fixes for important and critical bugs, the team continues in its bug fixing mode.
As noted early, this release cycle is being a bit larger than previous ones, the source tree is almost in release shape. There are some gaps in the documentation that will be filled by the final release. You should expect a final release at the end of the month. Please note that OpenNebula 3.0 RC is not suitable for production environments. We recommend those currently running 3.0 Beta1 or 3.0 Beta2 to upgrade.
The OpenNebula team wants also to thank all the feedback received for the previous beta releases. Keep testing!
What’s new in OpenNebula 3.0
What’s new in OpenNebula 3.0 RC1
- New authentication methods for Sunstone. Sunstone can be used now with x509 certificates.
- New authentication methods EC2 and OCCI. The EC2 and OCCI interfaces can be used with x509 certificates now.
- Access Control for VM deployment. Users can not bypass the scheduler by default (i.e. onevm deploy is not available to all users), it can be configured through an ACL, though.
- OpenNebula Zones and Virtual Data Centers. A couple of new feautes have been added to easily manage the physical hosts assigned to a VDC. Now you can add/delete hosts, and force sharing of physical hosts among VDCs.This functionality is available through the CLI, but it will be exposed in the Ozones GUI for 3.0 Final.
Migrating from OpenNebula 3.0 Beta
Migrating from OpenNebula 2.x
- Database, The DB schema has re-design from scratch, to ease the transition you should use the ”onedb” tool to automatically upgrade your system.
- User Interface, There are minor changes in the CLI and user interface. The most notably ones are that now you can reuse names, and that images and networks can not be referenced by name, use NETWORK_ID and IMAGE_ID instead.
- API, New methods have been included for the new features. Also there are a few changes in the current xml-rpc methods.