The dsa-research group is pleased to announce that a stable release (v1.0) of the OpenNebula (ONE) Virtual Infrastructure Engine is available for download under the terms of the Apache License, Version 2.0. ONE enables the dynamic allocation of virtual machines on a pool of physical resources, so extending the benefits of existing virtualization platforms from a single physical resource to a pool of resources, decoupling the server not only from the physical infrastructure but also from the physical location.
The OpenNebula Virtual Infrastructure Engine differentiates from existing VM managers in its highly modular and open architecture designed to meet the requirements of cluster administrators. The last version supports Xen and KVM virtualization platforms to provide the following features and capabilities:
- Centralized management, a single access point to manage a pool of VMs and physical resources.
- Efficient resource management, including support to build any capacity provision policy and for advance reservation of capacity through the Haizea lease manager
- Powerful API and CLI interfaces for monitoring and controlling VMs and physical resources
- Easy 3rd party software integration to provide a complete solution for the deployment of flexible and efficient virtual infrastructures
- Fault tolerant design, state is kept in a SQLite database.
- Open and flexible architecture to add new infrastructure metrics and parameters or even to support new Hypervisors.
- Support to access Amazon EC2 resources to supplement local resources with cloud resources to satisfy peak or fluctuating demands.
- Ease of installation and administration on UNIX clusters
- Open source software released under Apache license v2.0
- As engine for the dynamic management of VMs, OpenNebula is being enhanced in the context of the RESERVOIR project (EU grant agreement 215605) to address the requirements of several business use cases.
More details at http://www.opennebula.org/doku.php?id=documentation:rn-rel1.0
- Benefits and Features: http://www.opennebula.org/doku.php?id=about
- Documentation: http://www.opennebula.org/doku.php?id=documentation
- Release Notes: http://www.opennebula.org/doku.php?id=documentation:rn-rel1.0
- Download: http://www.opennebula.org/doku.php?id=software
- Ecosystem: http://www.opennebula.org/doku.php?id=ecosystem